Coffee Republic’s Sustainable and Environmental Commitment
We are committed reducing the impact that we have on the environment and to developing and sustain valuable relationships with our farmers and suppliers.
We define our Sustainable Business Strategy in four key areas: Sustainable Farming, Environment, Suppliers and Supply Chain, as we feel that these areas are where we can make the greatest impact.
We are taking a common sense approach to achieving our goals and realise that we cannot do everything ourselves and will work with other organisations to help us achieve them.
Sustainable Farming – Our Coffee
At Coffee Republic we are committed to ensuring the livelihoods of the farmers of our beans are protected and ensure our farmers are fairly rewarded. We are the only coffee chain in the UK that can supply both Rainforest Alliance and Fairtrade Coffee in our unique full bodied espresso beans.
At present, the vast majority of the beans in our unique blend are sourced from identifiable and traceable sources and we are working hard to ensure we purchase every bean this way.
We take responsibility not just for great coffee, but supporting communities and the environment where our coffee is grown.
Sustainable Farming – Our Food
- In 2017 Coffee Republic made a commitment to source exclusively cage-free or free-range eggs. Animal welfare is important to Coffee Republic and we are working towards using 100% free range eggs through our supply chain. We are already 100% free range on whole eggs and mayonnaise used in our savoury range of products and we are committed to ensuring that all our products will contain only free range eggs.
- Environment – Reducing Waste and Managing Resources
- As all our sandwiches, baguettes, toasties, paninis, wraps and salads are made fresh each day in every bar and by carefully monitoring customer requirements we ensure that food waste is reduced.
- At the start of 2018 we introduced a reusable cup and introduced a 15p discount for customers bringing their own reusable cups to help reduce the number of cups we use.
- During 2018, we trialled some new initiatives to improve coffee cup recovery and recycling. We hope that this initiative will further reduce the number of cups we use.
- In 2017 we introduced a used coffee grounds recycling programme, we actively encourage all of our outlets to repack the used coffee grounds in recycled packaging and offer them free to our customers to use at home. This action has greatly reduced our waste on a daily basis.
- We’ve made changes to a number of our packaging lines to reduce material weight and increasing the volume of biodegradable and compostable disposables we use.
- We encourage our own managed bars and franchisees to manage their energy, waste and water consumption.
Suppliers and Supply Chain
- We are always looking to find transport solutions that will ease the impact we have on the environment.
- We work closely with our suppliers to consider how best to improve the environmental performance of our operations and help them deliver their own environmental policies.